The pueblo has existed during the revolution time of 1899 and its location was in the northern side of Amambahag River and her name was Binongto-an. Due to its low lying elevation constant flooding devastated the place and the settlement was transferred to the southern part of Amambahag River near the legendary Culaba Brooks—where the new town got its name
On 1901 the pueblo was raided by pulahans, a marauder from the island of samar, taking away everything and destroyed the place by fire leaving it completely devastated with no single document left that will prove who were the Officiales del Pueblo on that time. The place was annexed to the neighboring town of Caibiran as one of its barrio.
In 1907 educational system was opened, utilizing the home of Capitan Pacifico Amable as grade one English class and eventually grade two was offered. After the time of Seńor Amable, Seńor Gervacio Abanilla succeeded as captain.
Growth was slow, but because the place was strategically located far from the troubled areas, migrants from nearby provinces of Cebu and Bohol came. Endowed with abundance of flora and fauna, trading of forest products such as lumber was established through sailboats locally known as paraw to the nearby and the farthest provinces of Cebu.
During the postwar, community leader clamored for the township of Barrio Culaba. Their efforts lasted for a decade until the time on 16 October 1953 when President Elpidio Quirino signed Executive Order No. 630 creating the Municipality of Culaba in the Province of Leyte, seceding the five original barrios of Pinamihagan, Habuhab,Culaba, Bool and Acaban from the mother Municipality of Caibiran. The inauguration of the new town was on 16 January 1954, the incumbent mayor of Caibiran Mayor Gerardo Pazon Sabarre, a native of Culaba, was appointed as new mayor and the seat of the government was in the old tribunal building which was located in the basketball court today.